Saturday, February 18, 2012

Gabriella Jane Rieck

Welp, she's here! We were told we were on baby watch but we really didnt think she would come a whole month early! lol This blog is pretty much a journal for our family so here's the birth story (sorry if its not 2 exciting and a little TMI lol)...

So, on the 4th (a Saturday), Max and i were getting everything for the baby coming soon. We installed the carseat and cleaned a lot of the house. My mom and my sister Alicia came over that day and asked how i was feeling and i told them that i felt great :) I wasnt haveing many contractions (i had been having them for a few months) so i really thought things were going ok and that she would stay in there pretty close to here due date. Then, around 5:30pm i started having some MAJOR contractions. When they got that bad, i would usually take a bath and they would dye down a lot. So before i got into the bath, i noticed quite a bit of blood. It freaked me out and the contractions were stonger than they've ever been so i told Max that i thought it might be time. I called my parents on the way to their house and asked if they could take Lydia. Luckly my sister was there and told us that she would take her for the night (we didnt know if we would get sent home or not).
My mom actually came in the car with us in case things got really bad and i needed more help.
The contractions were pretty bad driving there but my mom kept my mind off it most of the time. The hospital was an hour away so it was pretty tough :(
They checked me into triage and hooked me up to the monitors. By now, the contractions were so strong that i couldnt even imagine getting sent home. I didnt care that it was still 4 weeks til my due date lol I wanted the baby out and for the pain to stop. My dr came by and he said that he wanted me to walk around for about an hour to see i f i would dialate even more (i was already a 4). I thought "r u freakin kidding me?! im in so much pain! i cant walk around!". My dr came back 2 minutes later and said "nevermind, ive been watching the monitor and ur having huge contractions every 2 minutes. We are going to admit you." We were to happy :) They wheeled me back to my room and my dr wanted to check me and break my water. (This is when it gets a little gross but, sorry lol my blog...) He broke my water and, no joke, water came POURING out. Not just regular. It was gallons of water! The dr said he had never seen anything like it. and the nurse said that she had worked at that hospital for 15 years and had never seen that much water come out of someone lol I mustve lost 20lbs just then lol And looking at my stomach after that, i already felt SO skinny haha
The contractions got a little worse so i got the epidural. It kinda worked but not completely. I was so nervous to have another birth experience like Lydia's (the epidural never fully kicked in so i felt everything). So they called the guy back in to give me a higher dose. It worked for about an half hour and then wore off again. By this time (3am), my best friend Lindsay and her mom came to hang out and be there for the birth. I was in SO much pain and was able to feel everything. The nurse checked me and told me it was time to start pushing. i told her that i NEEDED something for the pain and that i didnt want to feel anything. They gave me one more dose of meds but it didnt do anything. They said that my body just didnt get numb from the meds. Oh crap. Thats when i started to panic. I knew how it felt to have a baby natural and i NEVER wanted to feel that again. But they were all ready and in the room so i knew i had to push (even tho i was crying...a lot lol)
i only had to push for 15 minutes and then she was out. It was such a surreal feeling. I could hear her crying and i couldnt help but to cry a bit myself :) It was such an amazing experience. and i loved sharing it with the people i had in the room. They were all such a good support system and they said it was amazing for them to witness. She came at 5:53am and was 7lbs 5oz and 20inches long :)
(thanks to Lindsay for taking all the pics!)

Brie did ok the first couple nights but then they said she had really bad jaundice. We didnt even know she couldnt come home with us until the day we were getting ready to leave. I took it really hard. It just wasnt what i had planned on at all. There was a lot of crying on my part. Brie took everything like a champ. It killed me tho cause she hardly ever cried and the one time she did, was when we had to take her to the nursery and hand her over to the nurse. She started crying so loud and i lost it. it kinda makes me wanna cry just thinking about it. I had to leave the room fast before i really had a break down. We had so much support from family and friends and people from our ward. it really helped us get through everything.
I called the hospital a lot the next couple of days to check up on her and they would always say that she hasnt changed or that it got a little worse. Then after a couple days, they called and said that we could go pick her up :) it was the best day lol
We just love having her around. Its still so weird to me that i have 2 kids! When did i become a grown up? lol And now this girl is happy and healthy and already almost weighs 8 lbs! preemie? i dont think so lol We just love her so much :)

1 comment:

Josh and Tiff said...

Those pictures are incredible and she is just amazingly beautiful. I'm so happy for you guys! Also, the fact that your epidural didn't works maybe me hurt just thinking about that. I'm totally impressed!